Monday, January 27, 2014

Sociogenesis of curling

I have always been really interested in the sport curling. I have watched the winter Olympics quite a few times throughout my life and the sport curling has always caught my eye for some reason. It is a sport of precision and accuracy, it also take intense focus. I think I came to be interested in the sport due to its unorthodox methods playing. This sport requires one person to throw the rock down the ice while two on either side use a broom to slow down or speed up the rock by scraping the ice in front of the rock. This sport seems to be very interesting because it takes the concept of a shuffle board but it’s a lot bigger and on ice. Growing up in Hawaii as you may know we don’t get much ice and the temperatures stay at a constant 75 degrees, so this sport played on ice was very foreign to me and seems very interesting. This sport was invented in Scotland, with a history dating back to the 16th century. Although this sport dates back further than most common sports we know today it has only been recently become a sport in the Olympics. Since 1998 this sport has been played in both men and women divisions.

 


1 comment:

  1. Super interesting. There are always so many sports on TV and discussions on ESPN, but I never see curling as one of them. Definitely takes a lot of focus like you said.

    -Martha Slichter

    ReplyDelete