Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Interrogating inequalities in Sports Media: Examining gender/race representation in "

I did my short study on the ESPN Insider web page. My research found that there were twenty-two minorities and twenty-seven whites in the extent of my findings. I jumped onto the ESPN Insider web page and took into account any colored person I saw and any white person I saw. Then I moved my mouse over each tab (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAAF…etc.) and counted how many coloreds and whites I was able to see in each tab.
            My findings lead to a pretty balanced out representation of coloreds to whites. Being that now day’s sports is more diverse this is not shocking to me. In this sports magazine I feel that even if they wanted to be racist they couldn’t because such a huge portion of athletes and costumers are minorities. Being that this is an online website I understand that the pictures, topics, and stories can change several times a day. Today during my research the first thing that I saw was the biggest picture on the page, and that was of a minority baseball player. The headline is CUBA, Opening the Next Great Pipeline in Sports. This article talks about how there is now a new Pipeline to Cuban players in baseball.

            What seems to be a very diverse ESPN page actually holds an underlying issue concerning the types of sports we are allowed to play as a race. The interesting thing I saw was the on the Professional level of the NFL and NBA the race was exactly equal but on the college level basketball and football were all colored. The messages that are being sent here is that at the professional level things are diverse but at the college level there are a lot of colored athletes. This also sends the message that the NBA, MLB, NFL, college football and basketball are sports that coloreds can play in. On the NHL, Nascar, and Olympics tabs they had only white people. It is true that there are not many colored people that participate in these sports but still the message being sent furthers the notion. Certain sports are meant for certain races and maybe ESPN isn’t trying to send that message but regardless it is being sent. 

1 comment:

  1. Your post reminds me of that one Gatorade (maybe it was Powerade) commercial that has all of these athletes that don't fit with the sport their playing. Theres an African American guy playing hockey and says "not the right sport?", then later flashes him playing really well all because of this power drink for athletes. According to your blog, this TV commercial supports the opposite of what you say ESPN's message is and is perhaps making a social commentary upon the 'freedom' of playing sports (a freedom that has social boundaries).

    Christie Herwig

    ReplyDelete